Mayer Brown LLP is a leading global law firm with offices in 26 key business centers across the Americas, Asia, Europe and the Middle East. We are a collegial, collaborative and diverse firm where highly motivated individuals with an unwavering commitment to excellence receive the opportunity, support and development they need to grow, thrive and realize their greatest potential.
If you enjoy working with team members whose defining characteristics are achievement, initiative, professionalism, responsiveness and adaptability, you may be the person we are seeking to join our Administration department, in Palo Alto or Los Angeles, as a Director of Administration U.S. - West Coast.
The Director of Administration is responsible for overseeing the administration of the Palo Alto, Los Angeles and San Francisco offices, developing administrative policies and strategic plans to achieve organizational goals.
• Accounts for the development, coordination and implementation of the Palo Alto, Los Angeles and San Francisco offices’ administrative functions and its organizational development
• Establishes programs to maximize productivity, teamwork and utilization
• Assesses and establishes metrics to improve office efficiencies and processes to minimize financial impact
• Develops and monitors the offices’ annual operating and capital budgets with the approval of the Partner-in-Charge and the Global COO
• Participates in the development, communication and administration of both legal and non-legal policies and programs
• Oversees the offices’ facilities management, including space design, utilization, renovation, maintenance, and subleasing
• Ensures adequate training and development for staff and compliance with risk-management policies
• Provides regular management reports and analysis to the Partner-in-Charge as to the operations and needs of the offices
• Coordinates with the functional leadership team to ensure the offices receive required support from US and global support functions (IT, HR, Attorney Development & Recruiting, Business Development & Marketing)
• Performs other duties as assigned or required to meet Firm goals and objectives
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field. An equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be considered in lieu of the degree when the experience has been directly related to the functions of the job
• MBA degree, preferred
• Minimum of 7 years of senior level management experience with multiple departmental responsibility, required
• Prior experience working in a law firm or other professional services setting strongly preferred
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office products
• Prior experience working with financial systems in order to maintain budget
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, able to communicate effectively and in a professional manner with all levels of the Firm and outside vendors
• Ability to work in a diverse team environment and effectively support the demanding needs of the Firm
• Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines with shifting priorities
• Must be a self-starter with a high level of initiative
• Strong customer service skills, able to anticipate needs and exercise independent judgment
• Strong attention to detail, organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple projects
• Maintains confidentiality and exercises discretion
• Exercises solid strategic thinking and problem-solving skills
• Manages processes for direct reports in regards to performance appraisals, annual compensation, goal setting and performance counselling
• Demonstrated leadership and supervisory experience
• Operational budget analysis and recommendations
• Conducts analysis of staffing levels and participation in the recruitment process
• Able to determine and implement change processes to improve workflow efficiencies
• Process- and service-oriented with strong leadership and project management skills
• Able to set priorities and delegate in an efficient manner
• Conducts analysis of staffing levels and requests for assistance in all offices and work with U.S. centralization and efficiency models for staffing consideration
• May require occasional lifting of up to 20 lbs.
• May require travel to other offices as needed
The above is a general description of the essential duties associated with this position and does not represent an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all duties.
The Firm may modify and amend this job description at any time at its sole discretion. Nothing herein creates a contract of employment or otherwise modifies the at-will nature of employment.
We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits, including medical/dental/vision/life/and AD&D insurance, 401(k) savings plan, back-up childcare and eldercare, generous paid time off (PTO), as well as opportunities for professional development and growth. EOE m/f/d/v/so